Skip to Global Navigation
Skip to Local Navigation
Skip to Content
Skip to Search
Skip to Site Map
Strategic Plan for the Department of Pathology
- Foster a vibrant and well-resourced academic environment for researchers and students.
- Foster pride and collegiality among staff and students.
- Support and further develop strategic collaborations with other institutions.
- Further develop a strategic alliance with Canterbury Health Laboratories/Canterbury District Health Board for research and teaching.
- Encourage and support staff and student participation in public forums on health and research matters.
- Enhance the campus environment for research students. We seek an environment in which postgraduate students can flourish and achieve to a high international level.
- Attract and retain high quality researchers.
- Actively support career development of researchers at all levels.
- Attract high quality post-graduate research students to the department to undertake PhD research.
- Improve the career prospects and employment stability of established productive research staff by developing a funding model that takes into account the different departmental funding streams.
- Support and encourage staff involvement in University Research Themes and Centres.
- Develop a stronger liaison with the School’s Research Manager, Maori to actively seek appropriately qualified potential graduate students.
- Further enhance and maintain the high profile of Pathology in the medical student curriculum.
- Explore innovative ways to link Pathology with other disciplines in the medical student curriculum, building on the successful integration of radiology within anatomical pathology.
- Increase opportunities for medical student teaching and diagnostic laboratory experience within Canterbury Health Laboratories.
- Develop post-graduate papers necessary for offering a masters in biomedical science.
- Encourage interaction between medical students and research through BMedSci or summer studentships.