MB ChB(Cape Town) DCH(SA) FCP(SA)
Department of Endocrinology
2nd Floor Riverside
Private Bag 4710
- Consultant Endocrinologist/Diabetologist
- Medical Director Endocrine Laboratory
- Specialist Physician
- Bone Clinic Consultant
- Under-and Postgraduate Teaching
- Actively involved in clinical research
- The utility of salivary cortisol as an indicator of the adequacy of glucocorticoid replacement in patients with hypoadrenalism.
- Measurement of C-terminal ghrelin in a variety of disease states
- Zoledronic acid in the treatment of Paget’s disease of bone
- Salivary cortisol measurement in Synacthen testing
Top 10 Publications
- Kaplan FJL, Levitt NS, Soule SG. Primary hypoadrenalism assessed by the 1?g ACTH stimulation test in hospitalised patients with active pulmonary tuberculosis. QJM 2000:93;603-609.
- Soule S, Van Zyl Smit C, Parolis G, Attenborough S, Peter D, Kinvig S, Kinvig T, Coetzer E. The low dose ACTH stimulation test is less sensitive than the overnight metyrapone test for the diagnosis of secondary hypoadrenalism. Clin Endocrinol 2000:53;221-227.
- Soule SG. Addison’s disease in Africa - a teaching hospital experience. Clin Endocrinol 1999:50;115-120.
- Fahie-Wilson M, Soule SG. Macroprolactinaemia: contribution to hyperprolactinaemia in a District General Hospital and evaluation of a screening test based on precipitation with polyethylene glycol. Ann Clin Biochem 1997:34;252-258.
- Soule SG, Fahie-Wilson M, Tomlinson S. Failure of the short ACTH test to unequivocally diagnose long-standing symptomatic secondary hypoadrenalism. Clin Endocrinol 1996:44;137-140.
- Soule SG, Farhi J, Conway GS, Jacobs HS and Powell M. The outcome of hypophysectomy for prolactinomas in the era of dopamine agonist therapy. Clin Endocrinol 1996:44;711-716.
- Soule SG, Jacobs HS. The evaluation and management of subclinical pituitary disease. Postgrad Med J 1996:72; 258-262.
- Soule SG. Neuroendocrinology of the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Bailliere's Clin Endocrinol Metab 1996;10(2);205-219.
- Soule SG, Conway GS, Prelevic GM, Prentice M, Ginsburg J, Jacobs HS. Osteopaenia as a feature of the androgen insensitivity syndrome. Clin Endocrinol 1995:43;671-675.
- Soule SG, King JA, Millar RP. Incorporation of D-Ala2 in Growth hormone-releasing hormone (1-29)-NH2 increases the half life and decreases the metabolic clearance in normal men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994:79;1208-1211.