If you are employed by the CDHB and wish the CDHB to be the host institution for your research you must apply through the CDHB Research Office. This is regardless of whether you need institutional sign off at application stage or not.
First, register your project:
Register with the Research Office
Contact the Research Office as soon as you decide to put in the application:
What the research office needs to know to be able to help
- What funding body you are submitting to and for which specific call for applications.
- For each member of the proposed research team:
1) Names (or positions / grade if unknown)
2) Department – (and Institution if not CDHB)
3) FTE contribution (to be applied for or Time Only)
- Any quotes that you have sought for costs, e.g. laboratory work.
- Any other costs that you will incur, e.g. computer software, travel expenses. (The Research Office can assist with these if they are unknown.)
- Any other collaborating organisation that might be doing part of the work, e.g. CCST, private radiology etc.
Hints and tips
- Make sure you read all of the guidance documents so that you are aware of all the rules that apply to the funding.
- Read through the funders overarching aims and ambitions – it is wise to align your research goals to the strategic plan of the funder.
- If applicable, align research to MOH goals.
- The earlier you contact the research office the more we can help with the costings, for example we can help with the likes of FTEs and the processes that are required of and for other institutions to be a part of the application.
- For some funders an MOU is required between the CDHB and the other institutions that are involved. This takes time – FTEs must be set before this is finalised.
- Seek Maori consultation for your proposal early to gain insight into how it may influence your study.
Te Komiti Whakarite can be contacted via Jenna Manahi:
- Make good use of the grants costing sheet (CCW) to help your budgeting. You will be given one of these when you register with the Research Office. Our staff can support you in completing this.
- Discuss your plans with the departments involved (Clinical Director and Service Manager), you will need their approval for institutional sign off.
- Ethical considerations: refer to the NEAC guidelines as a first point of call.
Note: The deadline for completed applications to reach the CDHB Research Office is two weeks before the closing date as advertised by the funder.