The Summer Studentship Programme is an opportunity to get real world hands-on research experience.
Many of our Summer Students go on to PhD study and beyond. Several of our leading researchers have been summer students and are now experienced supervisors.
In as little as 10 weeks, you could make a difference to the care or treatment of patients in our health system.
This is a great opportunity to either consolidate your specialty or to try something new.
With the generous summer bursary, it’s way better than most holiday jobs.
How do I know what projects are available?
- Projects will be advertised to students in October.
Can I apply for the Summer Studentship Programme?
- You can apply if you are enrolled at any New Zealand Tertiary Education Provider for next year. *Acceptance criteria applies
- There are projects to suit many academic disciplines including, medicine, sciences, engineering, maths, humanities and informatics.
How / when do I get paid?
The Summer Studentships are paid directly from the Scholarships Office. You will receive 4 payments.
Structure of the Summer Studentship Programme
- In early October, the projects will be advertised to students
- If you are interested in a project, contact the first supervisor directly via email. Their details will be on the project form
- The supervisors select their student
- If you are successful, you need to complete the Student Application Form and provide a copy of your bank statement.
October / November
- Start date for projects
- Research Office will hold a ‘Welcome’ to the Summer Students. This is compulsory for all Summer Students.
- Students give first oral presentations, this is a 3-minute overview of the project. This is compulsory for all Summer Students.
- Presentation and Media Skills training
- Final oral presentations, this is a 5-minute summary of the project. This is compulsory for all Summer Students.
- Written lay report submission. This is compulsory for all Summer Students.
- 2018/2019 Project Details
- 2017/2018 Project Details
- 2016/2017 Project Details
- 2015/2016 Project Details
- 2014/2015 Project Details
- 2014/2015 Student Reports (PDF)
Windows 7 users: You can download your form by hovering over the link, right click, "Save Target As" and save the form to your computer.
- Student Appointment form (PDF)
- Lay Report Template (Microsoft Word)
- Final Payment Authorisation form (PDF)
- Student's Feedback form (PDF)
- Security Access Form (PDF)
Before making enquiries, download and read the Studentship FAQ
5th Floor, 2 Riccarton Avenue
University of Otago, Christchurch
PO Box 4345