Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Supervisors Summer Scholarships FAQ's

Do I need ethics or locality?

From 1 July 2012 ethical approval for research projects is now obtained via an online application form on the HDEC website.


Locality authorisation for non-CDHB conducted research at the University of Otago, Christchurch (UOC) campus is obtained by downloading and completing the form (TEM-Interim Locality Authorisation 9 Aug2012.doc) from Index of Forms/Clinical Research. The Memo on this website also describes the process and contact details for each campus locality authoriser.

What if your study does not meet the criteria for HDEC review?

There are a number of types of studies that used to require review by an HDEC, but which no longer meet the new criteria for HDEC review. These include, for instance studies conducted for the purposes of an educational qualification at Master’s level or lower and a number of low risk non-intervention studies (e.g. many qualitative studies involving non-vulnerable populations). Regardless of HDEC’s criteria however, your research still requires ethics review.

If HDEC review is not an option, then you will need to submit an application for ethical review to the University of Otago Human Ethics Committee. Submissions to this Ethics Committee currently requires at least one of the applicants to be an academic staff member of the University of Otago.

How do I appoint a student?

Students can contact supervisors after supervisors have been advised if their project has been funded, when the projects have been advertised to students via the website.

Projects will not be advertised to students until the Research Office has received a copy of the ethics letter of approval (if applicable).

The supervisor may make the following accommodations for the right students:

  • The student may start at a later date if agreed upon by the research office. The student must complete the 10 weeks of the studentship. They may complete their ten weeks after the presentation day. The final report must be submitted by the 1 March. Final payment will be withheld until the report is accepted by the supervisor.
  • Double student projects (shared projects). Where logistically possible, projects may be assigned to two students who will share the 10 weeks funding and time allocation (e.g. two students complete 5 weeks each). They must both write part of the final report and both present the findings at the end of January.

The supervisor should select a student according to their preferred method and notify the Research Office at as soon as a selection has been made. The Research Office will email the student with a Student Appointment form. The Student Appointment form must be signed by both the student and the supervisor and returned to the Research Office by 2 November 2020.

An electronic version of the form may be downloaded here (PDF).

Supervisors should note the three reporting requirements for Summer Students (two oral presentations and one written lay report) and ensure that their students will be able to meet all these requirements before signing the appointment form.

Supervisors should not appoint students with whom they have a personal relationship (eg. partners, children) for their project, as this may give rise to a conflict of interest.

What are my responsibilities as a supervisor?

Supervisors must be available to the student during the studentship period or provide suitable cover if they are to be absent. The supervisors must ensure that they are available for the last two weeks of the studentship so that the lay report and PowerPoint slides can be finished on time.

The principle investigator or supervisor in charge of their summer students in the lab. They are required to comply with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015. Supervisors may delegate this task, but not the responsibility. It is important for supervisors of Summer Students to be aware that they are responsible for ensuring their students receive appropriate health and safety training for the particular techniques and materials that they will be using for their project.

The UOC Laboratory Manager is responsible for ensuring that general health and safety training is given to staff and students working in the laboratories. Supervisors of laboratory based students should contact the Laboratory Manager once projects have been decided to determine what training is necessary. The University has a responsibility to ensure that laboratory staff and students work in a safe manner. This includes staff of the Canterbury District Health Board and students working in University of Otago, Christchurch buildings.

The Laboratory Manager is also responsible for the UOC shared facilities equipment and can organise instruction for students on the correct operation of this equipment on request. Each laboratory based student will receive a tour of the laboratory floors, where they will be shown the location of the various pieces of shared equipment as part of their induction.

The Laboratory Manager's contact details are email:


Summer Students who are current Otago University students automatically have internet access on the student computers.

Summer Students who are not current Otago University students can only be given access to the student or staff computers after filling out the online External Username form on the ITS website here:

Submit your External Username/ID Card/Library Access request

The supervisor should probably fill out the form, as it requires entering authorisation details (including Head of Department or delegated authority and university account code). Once entered, ITS will send an email to the entered HOD/delegated authority for confirmation before they action the request.

In the Application Type section, the recommended option to select is:

Type: Other (please provide an explanation)
Explanation: Requires access to Christchurch Staff Desktop

NB: Please fill out the External Username form at least 1 week before the student is due to start (the form states “Please allow 5 working days for this request to be completed.”)
Internet access on student computers does not incur on-going internet traffic costs.

Students needing to use the Internet for their projects should consult their supervisor to ascertain the use of departmental computers to access the Internet.

NB: Since 2016 the University network and internet charging structure has changed so departments are charged on an FTE basis. The number of devices connected on the network no longer affects the charge.

Concerto/Éclair (CDHB)

Clinical supervisors who need their students to have access to the CDHB Concerto/Éclair systems should complete the ‘Network User Setup Form’ available on the CDHB Intranet at: http://nwuserform/ and forward it to the Service Desk.

Queries about this process should be referred to the CDHB Service Desk on +64 3 364 0999 (x80999).

Please be aware that this process can be lengthy so the application should be made as soon as a student is appointed for the project.

How do I find out more?