Notes on soft and hard binding
- Soft binding is not spiral binding.
- Before printing off your thesis for examination submit it through a plagiarism check
- Fill in the softbound declaration form in blue pen. Do not bind the form into the thesis. It should be handed in separately, but at the same time as the softbound submission.
- PhD submission requires four soft-bound copies.
- Master’s submission requires three soft-bound copies.
Go to the University antiplagiarsm page
Download the softbound declaration form
- Print the thesis for hard binding only after it has been examined and passed.
- The author declaration form needs to be bound in one copy of the thesis. It should be the first page, with original signatures in blue.
- PhD: The University requires two hardbound copies
- Masters: The University requires two hardbound copies
- The University of Otago Library has information on thesis organisation, copyright obligations and depositing an electronic thesis.
Download the author declaration form
Go to the University of Otago Library website for more thesis information
Suggested places for binding
CQ print (CQ)
- 359 Lincoln Road, Addington, Christchurch (reasonably close to the Christchurch campus)
- Open Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
- For the special rate make sure you tell them that you are a University of Otago, Christchurch student
- You can put the pdf file onto a USB stick and take it to them, or email pdf email@example.com
- CQ can often do soft-binding (fastback binding) while you wait
Go to CQ Print website
UC Print - University of Canterbury
- The UC Copy Centre (James Hight Building) can copy and bind your thesis
- Open Monday – Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm
- You can put the pdf file onto a USB stick and take it to them
- Copy Centre can often do soft-binding while you wait
- They will also organise copying and hard-binding which takes about 5 days
Go to UC Copy Centre website
- 144 Carlyle Street, Sydenham, Christchurch
- Both softbounds and hardbounds, BUT they do not do the copying. So you would need to arrange the copying through your department, or any copy service
Go to McHargs Bookbinders website
Uniprint - University of Otago
- Uniprint do both the softbounds and organize the hardbounds
- Uniprint is located in Dunedin on the main University of Otago campus, but you can send them an electronic file and they will do the copying and binding and courier the copies to wherever you want them to go
Go to the Uniprint website