Notes on soft and hard binding
Note (7 October 2020): Since the Covid 19 lockdown, the Graduate Research Office has permitted candidates to submit a PDF for examination, rather than softbound copies. We have left the soft binding information on this website in case the University reverts back to requiring softbound copies for examination submission.
- Soft binding is not spiral binding.
- Before printing off your thesis for examination submit it through a plagiarism check
- Fill in the softbound declaration form in blue pen. Do not bind the form into the thesis. It should be handed in separately, but at the same time as the softbound submission.
- PhD submission requires four soft-bound copies.
- Master’s submission requires three soft-bound copies.
As from February 2020, the University no longer requires the submission of hardbounds after the examination has concluded.
All the doctoral office/library require is the upload of a PDF [E-thesis]. However, departments may like to have a hardbound copy and the student may want to get a hardbound copy of their own, so see below regarding getting this done.
A signed PDF of the AUTHOR DECLARATION FORM has to be uploaded alongside the e-thesis.
Download the Author declaration form
Suggested places for binding
CQ print (CQ)
- 359 Lincoln Road, Addington, Christchurch (reasonably close to the Christchurch campus)
- Open Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm
- For the special rate make sure you tell them that you are a University of Otago, Christchurch student
- You can put the pdf file onto a USB stick and take it to them, or email pdf firstname.lastname@example.org
- CQ can often do soft-binding (fastback binding) while you wait
UC Print - University of Canterbury
- The UC Copy Centre (James Hight Building) can copy and bind your thesis
- Open Monday – Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm
- You can put the pdf file onto a USB stick and take it to them
- Copy Centre can often do soft-binding while you wait
- They will also organise copying and hard-binding which takes about 5 days
- 144 Carlyle Street, Sydenham, Christchurch
- Both softbounds and hardbounds, BUT they do not do the copying. So you would need to arrange the copying through your department, or any copy service
Uniprint - University of Otago
- Uniprint do both the softbounds and organize the hardbounds
- Uniprint is located in Dunedin on the main University of Otago campus, but you can send them an electronic file and they will do the copying and binding and courier the copies to wherever you want them to go