Extensions can only be applied for in relation to assignments
Assignments must be handed in by the due date unless an extension has been granted by the lecturer in charge of the paper.
The Extension Request form can be downloaded below, or may be available on Blackboard. Completed forms must be emailed to Classics in advance of the set deadline:
Do not contact the course coordinator or your tutor to apply for an extension. No retrospective application is accepted except in the case of a serious medical condition, for which a medical certificate is required.
Extensions will be granted only for the following cases
3. personal difficulties of a serious nature
4. provincial or national representative activities
5. job interviews outside Dunedin
Nothing else (such as deadlines for other classes, travel plans or work pressure) will be accepted as a legitimate reason for extensions. Computer problems do not constitute an exceptional circumstance unless it is an officially notified failure of University equipment.
Your application for an extension must be accompanied by evidence
1. medical certificate for ill-health
2. documentary evidence for bereavement
3. written statement in support of your application from other university officer for personal difficulties of a serious nature
4. documentary evidence for provincial or national representative activities
5. documentary evidence for job interviews
No other evidence will be accepted. The evidence must be submitted to the Classics Programme, at the same time as, or within three working days after, the application for an extension either in hardcopy or as an email attachment of a scanned image.
Please note: Application with evidence does not guarantee the grant of extensions.
Length of extensions and penalties for late assignments
- The maximum length of an extension is ONE WEEK, i.e. seven calendar days (except in the case of serious medical conditions).
- Late assignments in all papers will be penalised by one mark for every day of lateness. Thus, for example, an essay handed in three days late which received a mark of 15/20 would be lowered to 12/20.
- Assignments later than seven calendar days will not be accepted or, where an extension has been granted, more than 7 calendar days after the expiry of the extension.