This is handled by a media engagement team led by Team Leader Media Engagement Jo Galer. Their role is to:
- Prepare and disseminate research news releases for academic staff where we assess media interest is likely.
- Provide information to journalists about major events, visits, staff appointments, funding announcements, public lectures, or other newsworthy University activity. Researchers should contact us well in advance of final publication of their research, or their event. Please note, we do not provide marketing services such as posters and paid advertising.
- When media call or email about operational matters (involving the running of the University, such as student, staff, funding issues), our University Media Policy states the Communications Office is the first point of contact, and that responses need to be coordinated from the media engagement team. Please scroll down to key contacts.
Key contacts for staff inquiring about research news releases or newsworthy events:
- Jo Galer, Team Leader Media Engagement
- Liane Topham-Kindley, Senior Communications Adviser
- Mark Hathaway, Senior Communications Adviser
- Kelly-Ann Tahitahi, Communications Adviser
- Lydia Anderson, Communications Adviser (part-time)
Finding Otago experts
Calls from journalists are welcome directly to academic staff about their expertise, and our expertise database helps journalists search by topic to find academic commentators. Researchers should visit the database to check their entry is up-to-date, or add themselves.
Key contacts for journalists requiring further assistance with finding an expert:
Key contact for staff inquiring about the Media Expertise Database:
Media inquiries on University operational matters
Journalists need to contact us first when seeking comment on these issues, and staff approached about these operational issues should also refer the journalist to us, in accordance with our University Media Policy.
The key contact for media inquiries about major building projects, accommodation services, health and safety, sustainability, information technology, and student services including cafes and retail outlets is:
Key contacts for all other media and staff inquiries related to individual staff, emergencies, incidents on campus, University funding, student behaviour, or University Council matters, are:
A message can be left with: