What is Continuing Education?
Continuing Education is all forms of non-credit teaching and learning activity which makes available the fruits of academic scholarship for inquiring minds within and beyond the university community, and which fosters discussion on matters of public good in the University’s role as critic and conscience of society.
Continuing Education is for:
- University community of academic staff, students, and professional staff
- Wider community of interested and/or professional people with access to Dunedin and other Otago campuses
- Otago Alumni
- Parents of current students
Guidance, administrative support and other services are provided by the Summer School & Continuing Education Office, and a contestable fund can also be applied to for limited financial support.
Refunds and cancellation
- Refunds Policy – Participants who enrol in, and pay, for a course that they subsequently cannot attend will be entitled to a refund in accordance with university policy relating to short courses as follows:
— For withdrawal up to seven working days before course commencement, an administration fee of 10% will be retained.
— For withdrawal less than seven working days before course commencement a refund of 50% will be made at the discretion of the Course or Programme Director.
— Once a course has commenced, no refund will be given.
- Cancellation – The University reserves the right to cancel a course due to insufficient enrolments or other unforeseen circumstances, in such cases fees will be refunded in full.
Continuing Education Fund
What is the Continuing Education Fund for?
The purpose of the fund is to support Continuing Education events which would not otherwise happen.
Grants are usually less than NZD$1,000 and are considered by a subcommittee twice a year.
How to Apply to the Continuing Education Fund
Read the Continuing Education Fund Guidelines before completing the application process.
The Continuing Education Fund is suspended for 2020
The University faces increased financial pressure following COVID-19 and all departments have been asked to reduce spending. Continuing Education’s response is to suspend the CE Fund until further notice, and applications will not be accepted in 2020. We hope to reinstate the fund in 2021.
Continuing Education Fund Application Form
Please complete the Continuing Education Fund Application form and return it to the Continuing Education office by the round due date for consideration.
Need help with your Continuing Education event?
We can assist you with promotion, managing the registration and payment process and are happy to provide advice.
View the Guide to running a short course, or contact us.
We are happy to help with any questions you have regarding Continuing Education at Otago.