Open to anyone working in the field of mental health, this course comprises on-line learning modules, on-site training seminar held in Christchurch on 5 September 2022 and an assessment module.
The objective of the course is to support mental health practitioners to feel informed and confident in the development of Hauora Māori competencies, with a special focus on the application of the Hui Process and Meihana Model.
The course is tailored to assist learners apply these models within their clinical practice alongside Māori patients and / or whānau. These models promote positive engagement, appropriate care/treatment and health advocacy that support Māori health equity.
Learners can expect to take 22-28 hours to complete the course.
- $1,000 including GST (dental and medical professionals)
- $800 including GST (non-dental/medical professionals)
- $600 including GST (NGO and community groups)
All learners will complete:
- online learning modules
- on-site training seminar
- an assessment module
Online learning modules
Begins from March 2022
Online modules that support learners to explore the context of Hauora Māori in 2022:
- Te Reo within a clinical setting
- Understanding the context for studying Māori Health
- Orientation to Hui Process and Meihana Model
- How the application of Hui Process / Meihana Model can help us reduce clinical bias and improve health literacy
- The role of Whakatere
Each module takes approximately 2 hours to complete. Each module has written material, videos and quizzes attached.
These Modules must be completed 2 weeks prior to the on-site training.
On-site training seminar
5 September 2022
One on-site training seminar in Christchurch, inclusive of:
- team-based learning activities to orientate learners to the Hui Process and Meihana Model
- simulated patient sessions to practice application of Hui Process and Meihana Model to clinical practice
- working alongside Whānau in complex situations
Approximately 8 hours (8:30am–4:30pm)
Attendance and engagement in all sessions is required.
The assessment module provides an opportunity for learners to demonstrate their ability to utilise the Hui Process and Meihana Model in clinical practice.
Complete a case assignment involving a virtual patient case that allows the learner to demonstrate how they apply the Hui Process / Meihana Model (2 hours).
Once this case assignment meets the pass criteria, the learners will be awarded MIHI 501 MENTAL HEALTH PROF: Application of Hui Process / Meihana Model to Clinical Practice.