The University of Otago is pleased to announce its expanded delivery options for coursework programmes for the 2021 academic year.
While Otago’s primary teaching mode is via face-to-face learning on campus, in 2021, there will be three delivery options for eligible students:
- On campus
- Distance – existing programmes and papers designed to be delivered by distance learning
- Online – a limited number of papers and programmes that would normally only be delivered on campus will be temporarily delivered online in order to accommodate students that are unable to attend classes in person due to COVID‑19
Online – eligible students
The following students are eligible to apply for online study:
- Students living offshore, commencing or returning to undergraduate study in selected programmes
- Students living in New Zealand, returning to undergraduate study in selected programmes, who meet certain criteria (for example, having specific health, financial or family reasons for not being able to attend)
- Students living in New Zealand or offshore, commencing or returning to postgraduate study in selected programmes
Students interested in studying online will need to be granted approval to do so by the University. This also applies to students who have been granted approval to study online in previous semesters. Students will be required to demonstrate that COVID‑19 has impacted their ability to study on campus in 2021.
Online – eligible programmes
Undergraduate and postgraduate coursework
The full list of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and papers can be found via the following links:
Online undergraduate programmes and papers
Online postgraduate programmes and papers
List of standard distance programmes and papers
While no online papers are offered in Summer School, a number of distance papers are available.
Online – important information for all students
- Approved students must ensure they have appropriate computing resources – reliable computer (not tablet), high-speed internet connection, webcam, speaker, and microphone.
- Approved students cannot take a mix of on‑campus and online papers, but students can take a mix of distance and online papers.
- Students approved for online papers may normally take up to three papers only per semester.
- All approved students will be required to pay the standard tuition fee for papers regardless of the delivery method. Students unable to attend campus may be eligible for an exemption from the Compulsory Student Services Fee (CSSF).
- Because of the ongoing uncertainty arising from COVID‑19, the University is unable to guarantee that students’ preferred pathway or paper selection will be available, or that students will be able to complete a qualification in the standard minimum timeframe. Therefore, approved students must take special care in their paper selection. The University’s Student Development Team are available to provide course advice.
Online – how to apply
Updated: Thursday 10 September, 8:50am
Apply for your programme
- You should apply for your programme via eVision as normal
- After you have been offered a place on the programme, you can select online papers by following the steps below
Select your papers
If you wish to study online, you should not select your papers via eVision. First, you will need to complete one of the forms below and the University will confirm your eligibility and paper selection.
- Students commencing a new University of Otago qualification in 2021
- Current University of Otago students returning to study in 2021
The approval for online study and the addition of online papers is not automatic, and it may take some time for us to approve and process your request. Please check your student email regularly, as you may be required to provide further information. To assist us with processing your request, please provide any requested information as quickly as possible.
Visit otago.ac.nz/coronavirus for ongoing updates.