The ITS Service Desk
The ITS Service Desk can assist with enquiries about computing/IT issues that you may experience when accessing University of Otago services via the internet, such as:
Contact the ITS Service Desk
- 0800 479 888 Freephone (NZ) or 64 3 479 8888
- 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday during semesters and Summer School
After hours, contact Student IT, details below.
Contact Student IT
- 64 3 479 5170 (no toll free service available)
- Hours (semester)
- 8.30am - 9pm Monday to Friday
10am - 9pm Sunday
Services offered are similar to the ITS Service Desk, including the ability to issue passwords and help with Blackboard login problems, but not to provide access to Blackboard or podcasting.
You can contact StudentIT via their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/uostudentit using the message service.
ITS Helpful Tips
See the Documentation and Resources page for advice on using software such as Microsoft Office, Media, and Endnote referencing software, as well as tips on effective internet searches.
How to communicate with the University
The University communicates with you primarily through your student email address.
When you enrol at the University of Otago, you get a student email address. It consists of your student username followed by @student.otago.ac.nz (for example: firstname.lastname@example.org).
This email address is used to communication with you by:
- Student Administration
- Your lecturers
- The Library
- Blackboard, (if your paper uses it) will contact you using your student email address
- For printing (see below)
It is important that you check your email regularly!
To access to your student email go to: www.otago.ac.nz/studentmail and type in your student username and password.
Printing via email
- Create a new email.
- Attach your print job(s). You don’t need to type anything except the printer’s email address which is:
- email@example.com (for black and white)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (for colour)
You can pick the job up from any of the UniPrint printers around the Dunedin campus.
There is a similar email address for printing on our Wellington or Christchurch campuses.
Printing is one of the many reasons why your student e-mail account is so important!
Your password and pin
In addition to your username, you will also be assigned:
- A password (to access online services such as eVision, Blackboard, Email and Library Resources)
- A four-digit PIN (for Dunedin computer lab access and exam results via the phone).
The first time you enroll at Otago, you will get a slip of paper with your initial password and your PIN. If you are not based at the Dunedin campus you will receive your password separately.
Changing your password
This password should be changed to a combination of letters and numbers that are more meaningful to you (eight
or more characters is ideal). You can change your password:
- At www.otago.ac.nz/password
- In eVision under Settings, Change Password (www.otago.ac.nz/evision)
- Through the ITS Service Desk (Phone 0800 479 888 or email email@example.com)
Your new password will apply to all online services: eVision, Internet access, student email, online library resources,
Blackboard, the University Podcast website, Unitube, and on-campus student computers.
If you are contacting the ITS HelpDesk about changing your password, you will be asked to provide information that uniquely identifies you. If you are emailing the HelpDesk, please include:
- your full name
- date of birth
- Student ID Number
- the course/papers you are taking
You may also be asked for further information such as your home address.
See the section entitled Managing University Communications for further information on some of the services supported by ITS, such as:
- Student Webmail
Endnote referencing software
If you are using a large number of references (books, journal articles, etc), you may find it helpful to use a citation management product, such as EndNote, to gather, sort and manage those references. Creating an EndNote Library enables you to:
- gather your references, either directly from the database/catalogue/web (where you are searching), or by typing them manually into EndNote
- keep your references together, in one location
- save your references in the preferred citation style (EndNote will do this for you)
- drop the references into your assignment, both “in text” and in the Reference List (the references will be inserted into Word in your preferred citation style).
For further information, see the Library online Endnote manual and Unitube videos at: http://www.library.otago.ac.nz/endnote/index.html. Phone or email ITS and Library staff for assistance with specific questions about this product.
EndNote availability and support
EndNote is available to distance students, through the University of Otago, at a highly reduced price – just $25.00 per computer for the entire time a student is enrolled at the University of Otago See the ITS website for FAQ, purchasing information and details of on-campus classes (Dunedin, Christchurch and Wellington).
Go back to "Information needed before your course starts"