Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A practical language paper focusing on professional situations (business, law, commerce).
Do you want to develop your competence in French with an emphasis on practical, real-life situations? FREN 233 will consolidate your grammar and vocabulary and enhance your all-round functionality (listening, speaking, reading and writing) in French, a major world language.
|Paper title||French for Professional Purposes|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- FREN 111 or FREN 232
- FREN 231
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email email@example.com for assistance.
- FREN 233 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed FREN 232 or who have an appropriate level of French.
- Teaching staff
- Dr Barbara Stone
- Paper Structure
The grammar content of the paper includes: the subjunctive; demonstrative adjectives and pronouns; possessive adjectives and pronouns; interrogative adjectives and pronouns.
Course materials provide cultural content from macarons to haute couture. Clips from recent French films are incorporated into the course.
There are three language classes a week and an oral class with a native speaker.
- Teaching Arrangements
- There will be three lectures and one oral class per week.
- A set of Course Materials is available for purchase from UniPrint or downloadable
The "French Grammar" handbook is recommended and may be purchased from UniPrint or borrowed from the Library or the relevant chapters downloaded from Blackboard.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete FREN 233 will have
- Enhanced functionality and communicative ability in French (listening, speaking, reading and writing) at a solid B1 level on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- A richer awareness and appreciation of French culture