A dissertation of up to 20,000 words on an approved research topic.
|Teaching period||Full Year (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,227.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- BA(Hons), BAppSc(Hons), BSc(Hons), PGDipArts, PGDipSci
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Supervisor: Each student will be supervised by a member of staff most relevant to the proposed area of research.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper Structure
Students initiate an independently driven research project. Research is undertaken with a specific sub-discipline of geography/environmental management, supervised and advised by one or more academic staff members.
- Teaching Arrangements
Postgraduate seminars run by the School of Geography, and relevant to the research process, are designed with GEOG 490 students in mind. Your attendance at these seminars is compulsory.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental
literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
On completion of this paper students will be able to:
- Identify and contextualise a research problem and use the research literature to develop theoretical and methodological frameworks to investigate specific research questions
- Devise and implement a programme of practical work to investigate the research questions
- Analyse information and draw conclusions relevant to their research questions
- Write a report to communicate the outcomes of their research effectively