Studies in Japanese language and culture at a Japanese university that is an exchange partner of the University of Otago.
Do you want to put your Japanese into practice and study for a semester at one of our prestigious partner universities in Japan? Choosing to do an Honours degree in Japanese at Otago gives you the opportunity to have a semester of In-Country study in which you attend classes at a top Japanese university, not to mention all the other non-academic experiences you will have immersing yourself for several months in a lively and fascinating Japanese city.
|Paper title||Studies in Japanese|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,206.91|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- BA(Hons), PGDipArts
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
- Associate Professor Roy Starrs
- Paper Structure
- In consultation with the Programme Co-ordinator, the student will devise a course of study in Japanese language and culture at one of Otago's partner universities in Japan. Students may choose papers that explore new subject areas or that build on study already undertaken. Students often select courses that are relevant to their dissertation topic.
- To be advised.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural
understanding, Environmental literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of JAPA 451 and JAPA 452, students will have:
- Acquired in-depth knowledge of the subjects they chose to study and developed a critical approach to them
- Increased greatly their ability to communicate in Japanese, both in a social and a formal academic context
- Gained a truly international perspective on their studies through exposure to a different education system
- Developed the confidence to undertake research and scholarship in a Japanese environment