Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Development of skills to analyse and manage brands effectively, based on current theoretical understanding in the academic branding literature and its application to contemporary cases.
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,132.73|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Normally available only to postgraduate and/or DipGrad students.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Marketing's website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- This paper will cover the following themes:
- Brand Management Strategy
- Corporate Branding and Reputation
- Brand Personality and Brand Trust
- Positioning of Brands
- Brand Image
- Brand Extensions
- Brand Performance Measures
- Brand Equity
- Consumer Behaviour and Brands
- Brand Narratives and Consumer Connection Brands
- Brand Community and Word of Mouth
- Celebrity Endorsement
- Brand Names and Logos
- Brands and Emotion
- Standardisation vs Adaptation of Brand Names
- Cause-Related Marketing
- Counterfeiting and Brand Devaluation
- Reputation and Crisis Management
- Product-Country Images
- Country of Manufacture/Origin
- Positioning a Country Brand
- Destination Brands
- Online Brands
- "Cool" Brands
- Teaching Arrangements
One 2-hour lecture per week for 13 weeks.
- There is no required textbook for this paper.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for MART 468
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of the paper, students will be able to
- Explore the theoretical underpinning of branding concepts
- Examine methods for positioning and branding products or services in the marketplace
- Critically evaluate branding theory and apply this knowledge to branding campaigns
- Produce a brand audit by analysing an organisation's brand, its brand management and its marketing effectiveness