Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An overview of macronutrients and micronutrients, including analysis of topical research specific to each nutrient. Assessment of nutritional status, with particular emphasis on dietary assessment and interpretation.
This paper is relevant for health or education professionals who want to develop or update their nutrition knowledge and skills to complement their work as:
- General practitioners
- Public health professionals
- School teachers with a background in biological sciences (eg physical education, food technology or home economics teachers)
|Paper title||Principles of Human Nutrition|
|Teaching period||Semester 1 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,726.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- CMNX 401, NUTX 401
- A core paper for PGCertHealSc, PGDipHealSc, MHealSc endorsed in Human Nutrition; may also be taken by other approved students.
Eligible students will be professionals in the healthcare and education sectors without a background in human nutrition but with a background in biological sciences or health science.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Human Nutrition's website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
The modules that comprise the paper are as follows:
- Introduction to nutrition
- Dietary assessment methodology
- Minerals and trace elements
- Teaching Arrangements
The paper is distance-taught using Zoom. Zoom sessions run from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm on alternate Tuesdays. The zoom sessions run as tutorials rather than lectures, and there is an expectation that students will have read material provided prior to the session and participate in the discussion.
Understanding Nutrition, Eleanor Noss Whitney; Sharon Rady Rolfes; Tim Crowe; Adam Walsh3rd Australian and New Zealand Edition. South Melbourne, VIC. Cengage Learning, 2017.
The textbook is available by ebook
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will be able to
- Assess dietary practices of individuals using the appropriate dietary assessment methodology
- Describe the roles of macronutrients and micronutrients in the body
- Evaluate nutrition advice and claims made by the popular media and food industry
- Search the scientific literature and critically evaluate a scientific article in nutrition
- Evaluate recent developments in nutritional science