Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Comprehensive coverage of obesity prevention and management in the child and adolescent populations, which have unique considerations compared with the adult population.
This paper will provide students with a detailed underpinning knowledge and understanding of issues that influence obesity prevention and management in the paediatric and youth cohort and will support the development of skills to contribute to prevention and management in practice.
|Paper title||Childhood and Youth Obesity Prevention and Management|
|Subject||Obesity Prevention and Management|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,938.00|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Teaching staff
Course co-ordinator: Dr Hamish Osborne
- Teaching Arrangements
This is an interprofessional distance taught paper. Paper resources including four modules with required readings, Zoom video conference workshops and associated assignments with additional study resources will be made available on HS Moodle.
Readings will be indicated on Moodle.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Completion of this/these paper(s) will build on existing knowledge, skills and attitudes towards obesity prevention and management in primary health care settings.
On successful completion of this/these paper(s) students will be able to
- Critically appraise the evidence basis for primary health care & community based prevention and management of paediatric and youth with overweight & obesity
- Apply knowledge and skills required for the prevention and management of paediatric and youth overweight & obesity in own workplace environment and scope of practice.
- Contribute towards a system-wide approach to the prevention and management of paediatric and youth obesity in New Zealand with appreciation of other’s roles
- Approach obesity prevention and management in a non-stigmatising and ethical manner