Programming for Artificial Intelligence using the Python programming language.
Programming is at the heart of artificial intelligence (AI) and it’s impossible to understand AI without being a competent programmer. This paper will help you develop both fundamental programming skills and the skills needed to be an AI programmer using the most common AI programming language – Python.
|Paper title||Programming for Artificial Intelligence|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,409.28|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- 36 points above 200-level
Some programming experience preferred.
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
AIML 401 is 100 per cent internally assessed. There are six mastery tests and two programming assignments. Topics covered include: the fundamentals of programming, numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, tensorflow, some fundamental AI problems, ethics of AI programming.
A coursebook will be supplied as a PDF.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will:
- Understand fundamental concepts relating to computer programming
- Demonstrate the ability to write computer programs for artificial intelligence applications
- Develop an understanding of the needs of artificial intelligence programming including but not limited to: data input and output, data manipulation, data visualisation, matrices, vectors and arrays
- Make use of common artificial intelligence tools and libraries including but not limited to: numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, and tensorflow or similar
- Develop an understanding of ethical and best practice issues associated with collecting and storing data including indigenous data