Key basic legal and governance principles and frameworks, which are commonly present and crucially important in commercial transactions and business situations generally.
The goal of this paper is to understand the civil legal system; use of legal language; the law of contract; context in which professional legal advisors work; planning and structuring so that business is conducted efficiently within the law; common legal remedies; and relevant court processes.
|Paper title||Business Law|
|Points||15 points 15 points 15 points 15 points|
|Teaching period(s)||1st Non standard period (5 February 2018 - 30 March 2018), 2nd Non standard period (9 April 2018 - 1 June 2018), 4th Non standard period (13 August 2018 - 5 October 2018), 5th Non standard period (15 October 2018 - 7 December 2018)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,143.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,805.00|
- Limited to
- DipBusAdmin, MBA, PGDipHealMgt, MHealSc
- Learning Outcomes
- As an overall objective, this paper aims to familiarise participants with key basic
legal principles that are commonly present and crucially important in commercial transactions
and business situations generally.
Students who successfully complete the paper are expected to have
- Acquired familiarity with the civil legal system and confidence in the use of legal language
- Developed the skill of recognising and identifying legal problems, especially in the law of contract
- Appreciated the context in which professional legal advisors work (so better to utilise their expertise)
- Understood the need for careful planning and structuring so that business is conducted efficiently and within the law
- Become acquainted with common legal remedies and relevant court processes
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Susan Steer
- Course Reader
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, interdisciplinary perspective, lifelong learning, communication,
critical thinking, ethics, information literacy, self-motivation, teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.