Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Provides exposure to multi-cultural and international influences on business and global economics, including communications, governance, accountability and ethics. Designed to develop skills for graduates working in all international environments.
The purpose of this paper is to provide students in the coursework Masters programme with an appreciation of business and economics as they are experienced in a variety of cultural settings. Further, for the sake of international students, this paper provides exposure to 'Western' business practices. Moreover, this paper offers students the opportunity to improve their communication skills (verbal and written) within professional and academic contexts.
|Paper title||The Environment of Business and Economics|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 1 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,380.11|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,177.04|
- Limited to
- BCom(Hons), MBusDataSc, MFinc, MIntBus, MProfAcct, MSusBus
- For BCom(Hons) students, this paper is intended only for those studying Accounting.
- Teaching staff
Dr Frederico Botafogo
- To be advised
- Course outline
- View the course outline for BSNS 401
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy,
Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will
- Develop an appreciation of ethics from multicultural perspectives and, also, within an international business environment
- Understand and demonstrate the frameworks and structures of conducting business in a number of cultural contexts from around the world
- Appreciate the nature of financial reporting and accountability across different countries and be able to provide critical reflection on these topics
- Strengthen abilities to communicate effectively in a multicultural business environment, including an appreciation of various business-related disciplines
- Develop a research plan that incorporates the learning objectives, as listed above, to apply appropriate methods to an investigation and to summarise and communicate the results