Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A continuation from CHIN231 of communicative language study.
The number of people who are learning Chinese as a second language is increasing very rapidly. It is also the second most common language on the Internet. As China is an increasingly important business partner of New Zealand, learning Chinese will give you the edge over other candidates for a wide variety of jobs.
|Paper title||Intermediate Chinese 2|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- CHIN 231
- CHIN 334 or any other more advanced Chinese language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Suitable for students specialising in any discipline.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Sin Wen Lau
- Teaching Arrangements
We will study one lesson from the Textbook every 2 weeks. In order to take full advantage of the interactive class lectures, students will do a variety of activities focused on the new vocabulary (peer dictations, character games, etc).
Liu, Xun, ed. Xin Shiyong Hanyu Keben 3 (New Practical Chinese Reader 3) (Textbook). Available at the University Book Shop.
- Course outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Cultural understanding, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
By participating in lectures and tutorials, completing the assigned homework and via other independent learning activities (practice with Language Perfect, meetings with language match partners and exercises based on suggested online resources), students will gain:
- An intermediate-level understanding of the Chinese language structure
- Increased confidence in their conversational skills
- An intermediate level in reading and writing skills