An introduction to client-side Web technologies including HTML, CSS, and digital media. Provides practical skills in building well-engineered Web sites and the creation and manipulation of digital images.
The World Wide Web plays a huge part in everyone's life, but do you know how it works? COMP 112 will introduce you to the core technologies underlying the Web, including HTML, CSS and digital media. It will teach you how to create well-engineered websites from the ground up.
|Paper title||Web Development and Digital Media|
|Subject||Computer and Information Science|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,059.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,627.65|
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Commerce, Science
- More information link
- View more information about COMP 112
- Teaching staff
- Lecturers: Dr Stefanie Zollmann and Nick Meek
- Paper Structure
- Lecture topics:
- Web Technologies
- Search Engines
- Sound and Video
- Graphics Formats
- Cameras and Scanners
- Introduction to OSX
- Publishing Your Web Page
- Make a Website
- Accessibility Challenge
- HTML5 Audio and Video
- HTML5 Forms
- Assessed labs (worth either 1% or 2%) 25%
- A project 15%
- A final exam 60%
- Teaching Arrangements
- There are two 1-hour lectures per week. Students will be streamed into two 2-hour laboratory sessions per week, where they will work through practical exercises. Typically a student should expect to be able to complete the laboratory sessions more or less within the 2-hour period - as long as the student has done some preparation prior to attending the laboratory. Course material is available on Blackboard.
- The course workbook is available free online for enrolled students or printed at cost.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for COMP 112
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Communication, Ethics, Information literacy, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper will enable students to:
- Gain an elementary understanding of how the Internet and World Wide Web function
- Gain a good understanding of HTML and Cascading Style Sheets
- Learn some simple skills in PhotoShop
- Gain a basic understanding of multimedia file formats