Overview of research techniques. Preparation of research proposal with literature review.
|Paper title||Dental Honours Research Project 1|
|Teaching period||1st Non standard period (19 November 2017 - 19 January 2018)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,281.90|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$7,561.97|
- Limited to
- Paper Structure
- Paper is for a non standard period of study November-January.
- Teaching staff
- Course Co-ordinator: Associate Professor Jonathan Broadbent
- There are no essential readings. However, the following may be helpful:
Brunette D.R. Critical thinking: Understanding and Evaluating Dental Research. Chicago, USA: Quintessence Publishing Co., 2007
Giannobile W.V., Burt B.A., Genco R.J. Clinical Research in Oral Health. Ames, Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010
Greenhalgh T. How to Read a Paper. The Basics of Evidence Based Medicine. London, UK: BMJ Publishing Group, 1997
Lessaffre E., Feine, J, Leroux, B, Declerck, D. Statistical and Methodological Aspects of Oral Health Research. Chichester, UK: Wiley & Sons, 2009
Levenstein S.D. Encyclopedia of Dentistry Research. New York, USA: Nova Science Publishers, 2012
Porta M.S., Greenland S., Last J.M. A Dictionary of Epidemiology. New York, USA: Oxford University Press, 2008
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural
understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- The primary focus of this paper is to give students the skills they need for the design and development of a research protocol, following a relevant critical literature review of their agreed research topic.