Deepening of understanding of learning in the early years through investigation of the factors that influence early childhood education in both national and international contexts.
|Paper title||International Perspectives|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$846.30|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,766.35|
- Limited to
- Compulsory for GradDipTchg Early Childhood Education students.
Programme Coordinator (Early Childhood Education) Judy Layland (email@example.com)
- Teaching staff
- Paper Coordinator: Dr Sonya Gaches
Teaching Staff: Judy Layland.
- Paper Structure
Historical, theoretical and ideological influences on early childhood education
- History of early childhood across nations
- How the theoretical context has influenced
the development of early childhood education internationally
- Impact of ideological on the nature of early childhood education
- The construction of early childhood locally, nationally and internationally
- Structure, purpose and organisation of early childhood
- Construction of early childhood education in the centre setting
- Constructions of early childhood in Aotearoa New Zealand
of early childhood in the international context
- Relationships between approaches to early childhood and children's learning
- Critical examination of how notions of early childhood education impact on expectations for children's learning
- Implications for the future of early childhood education
- Smith, A.B. (2013). Understanding Children and Childhood (5th ed.), Welling, Bridget Williams PublishingFleer, M. (2010) Early Learning and Development. Cultural-historical concepts in play. Melbourne, Cambridge University Press.
- McLachlan, C., Fleer, M. & Edwards, S. (2010) Early Childhood curriculum. Planning, assessment and implementation. Melbourne, Cambridge University Press.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Ethics, Environmental literacy, Research.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Analyse the historical, theoretical, and ideological influences on early childhood internationally;
- Critically examine how early childhood is constructed locally, nationally and globally; and
- Reflexively address the relationships between perspectives of early childhood education and notions of learning.