Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An introduction to the theory and practice of qualitative research. Students are guided through the key stages of conducting qualitative research on an education topic of their choice.
Would you like to conduct interviews as part of future research? This paper is designed so that you can research a topic of your choice and be guided through the qualitative research process of designing interview questions, conducting and analysing your interview and reporting your findings.
|Paper title||Qualitative Research|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2021 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,154.90|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,801.79|
- 54 300-level EDUC or EDUX points
- (i) Students who have not passed the normal prerequisite may be admitted with approval from the Dean of the College of Education. (ii) This paper is normally available in alternate years.
- If you are a Social Sciences graduate wanting to do interviews as part of future research, this paper is designed to help you.
- Teaching staff
To be confirmed if offered.
- Paper Structure
- The paper is designed to follow the research process, beginning with the rationale for choosing qualitative methods and followed by the importance of theory and ethics with lots of guidance on writing a literature review, designing interview questions, data analysis and reporting your findings.
- Students will be expected to access required readings via the library and the Internet and source their own relevant readings.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- This paper is an introduction to the theory and practice of qualitative research.
Students are expected to select an educational topic and are guided through the key
stages of conducting qualitative research on a small scale by:
- Conducting a literature review
- Applying for ethical approval
- Conducting one interview with an adult participant
- Data analysis using the strategies of discourse analysis
- Relating the findings of the data analysis back to the literature review