Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Provides positive learning experiences for students who have experienced difficulties, or lack confidence in mathematics, through a teaching and learning approach which reflects the philosophy of the mathematics curriculum.
The content of the paper will reflect the level of mathematics required to be an effective teacher up to year 8:
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
|Paper title||Essential Mathematics for Teaching|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2
Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$739.63|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- BTchg, MTchgLn
Course co-ordinator: Andréa Knowles, email@example.com
- Teaching staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is taught on the Dunedin and Invercargill campuses.
Required Texts: None, but you will need to bring a laptop or tablet to class with you as some work will be internet-based.
- Barton, D. (2017). Alpha mathematics (3e). Auckland, New Zealand: Longman.
- Barton, D. (2019). Beta mathematics (3e). Auckland, New Zealand: Longman.
- 10 Ticks (2010). Licensed to University of Otago College of Education
Access to www.hotmaths.com/au will be provided.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key skills, knowledge and vocabulary associated with mathematics
- Use a range of mental strategies to solve number problems
- Identify and extract mathematics from a variety of contexts
- Use a problem solving/investigative approach to mathematics