Topics relevant to fixed income securities. Students are exposed to literature about fixed income securities, prepare a research project and learn the skills of presentation.
The domestic and international fixed income markets account for a large proportion of investable assets, as well as of trading volume. A good understanding of theories and tools is necessary for practical valuation of fixed income assets and corporate financial decisions.Hence, in this paper the concepts, tools and techniques used to price fixed income securities and interest rate sensitive products at an advanced level are introduced and discussed.
|Paper title||Advanced Fixed Income Securities|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,079.88|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,786.79|
- Admission subject to approval from Head of Department.
- Teaching staff
- To be advised when paper next offered.
- Paper Structure
- This paper:
- Provides an introduction to term structure of interest rates
- Reviews and synthesises the fundamental themes in fixed-income security research and practice
- Explores the latest ideas for doing empirical research in fixed-income security
- Provides opportunities to develop global and interdisciplinary perspectives and learning environments, in which students develop both soft and hard skills required in a finance career
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures and tutorials.
- There is a list of compulsory readings (cases, books and journal articles) in the course outline.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for FINC 460
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the understanding of financial theory pertaining to term structure of interest rate and how to price a range of fixed-income securities
- Demonstrate an understanding of and skills in valuing fixed-income securities and interest rate sensitive products
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of critical thinking and lifelong learning
- Demonstrate an understanding of and skills in writing quality research papers or consulting project reports
- Demonstrate the ability to present authoritatively a set of ideas in a clear, concise and professional manner