Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Completion of an independent field project.
|Paper title||Accelerated Independent Project|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,110.75|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- GEOL 251, GEOL 252
- Pre or Corequisite
- GEOL 344
- GEOL 302
- Schedule C
- Students enrolled at the University of Otago for both semesters during a year must enrol in GEOL302 instead of GEOL304. May not be credited with GEOL321 completed in 2019 or 2020.
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
Students choose a field-focused geological investigation in consultation with a staff member who has agreed to supervise them. The supervisor helps design the project, suggests appropriate background readings and methodologies, is available for consultation on field and laboratory work, and offers guidance on a first draft of the written report.
Assessment is 100% internal. There is no final exam. The final research project and associated work are assessed.
- Teaching Arrangements
Some formal meetings will be scheduled around Health and Safety and other logistics. Students conduct their own independent fieldwork.
- Edbrooke, S.W.; Heron, D.W.; Forsyth, P.J.; Jongens, R. (compilers) 2015 Geological map of New Zealand 1:1 000 000. Lower Hutt, N.Z.: GNS Science. GNS Science geological map 2 2 maps (also available as a free web map service at http://data.gns.cri.nz/geology/)
- Coe, A. (ed.); 2010. Geological Field Techniques. Wiley-Blackwell
- Fry, N. The Field Description of Metamorphic Rocks. Wiley.
- Jerram, D. & Petford, N. The Field Description of Igneous Rocks. Wiley.
- Lisle, R., Brabham, P & Barnes, J. Basic Geological Mapping. Wiley.
- McClay, K. Mapping of Geological Structures, Wiley.
- Tucker, M.E. Sedimentary Rocks in the Field: A Practical Guide. Wiley.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
This paper is intended to develop a range of geological skills, including some of stratigraphy, mapping, structural geometry, facies analysis, petrography and library research. The report resulting from the independent project develops abilities in written communication and geological interpretation.