Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master’s degree by papers and thesis.
GEOL495 Master's thesis preparation is the core paper for the first year of an MSc degree. The MSc is a two year degree which encompasses both coursework and research. The first year involves mainly coursework and preliminary research preparation. Students will have the opportunity to contribute to existing fields of research, or to begin to develop new areas.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Points||40 points 40 points 40 points|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year (24 February 2020 - 7 November 2020), 1st Non standard period (12 December 2019 - 7 November 2020), 2nd Non standard period (8 July 2020 - 19 June 2021)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,132.35|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$11,583.84|
- Limited to
- The non-standard period for this paper takes place over approximately 12 months to accommodate field work requirements. The remainder of the work will be carried out over 7 to 9 months, involving an average of 12 to 16 hours of work per week.
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- All academic staff involved
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental
literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students initiate an independently driven research project during the first year of a two-year Master of Science degree. Research is undertaken within a specific sub-discipline of geology, supervised and advised by one or more academic staff members. Students who complete this paper will have learned the skills that they need to complete the second research-focused year of the programme.