Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An extension of German written and oral communication skills at an advanced level.
The most advanced of our language papers, GERM335 is based on current topics of German society. At the completion of GERM335 you will have reached the C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to sit the internationally recognised C1 Goethe-Zertifikat at Otago.
|Paper title||Advanced German 2|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,480.80|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,154.85|
- GERM 334
- GERM 301 and GERM 332
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email email@example.com for assistance.
GERM335 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed GERM334 or who have an advanced level of German. Students who have passed GERM331 are required to apply for Special Permission to enrol in GERM335. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about applying for Special Permissions.
- More information link
- View details of the online placement test.
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- Paper Structure
Classes are conducted in German and are based on two textbook units, complemented by two novels and online materials.
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour and has a social networking component.
Friederike Jin & Ute Voß. Grammatik aktiv, Cornelson, 2019
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Information literacy, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of GERM335, students will have advanced to level C1+ of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. As proficient users of German they will be able to
- Follow extended speech
- Understand television programmes and films
- Read factual and literary texts, appreciating distinctions of style
- Express themselves fluently
- Formulate ideas and opinions with precision and relate their contribution skillfully to those of other speakers
- Express themselves in clear, well-structured text, expressing points of view at some length