A study of selections from two Greek authors of the Classical period.
This is a paper for advanced studies in Ancient Greek. The paper focuses on two different Greek authors and is taught via the close reading and translation of selected texts. The paper develops advanced skills in translation and critical commentary.
|Paper title||Intermediate Greek Authors|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$886.35|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,766.35|
- GREK 211
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- The paper is suitable for students who have taken GREK 211 or an equivalent Ancient Greek paper.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Classics' website
- Teaching staff
Lecturer: Dr Sean McConnell
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers three key themes:
- Translation of and critical commentary on Greek texts
- Ancient Greek vocabulary
- Ancient Greek grammar
- To be agreed with students enrolled in the paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Self-motivation, Teamwork, Scholarship, Communication.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- An understanding of Ancient Greek vocabulary and grammar
- The ability to understand Greek texts and translate them accurately into English
- An enhanced understanding of English as a language
- Skills in information processing (e.g. analysing, understanding, interpreting and thinking critically)
- Skills in self-management and independent work (e.g. in planning, organising and managing time as you prepare for class)
- Experience of teamwork and co-operation in small-group environments (e.g. by participating in class and engaging with classmates)