Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A supervised research essay of 6,500 words in an approved topic in Linguistics.
|Paper title||Research Essay|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- 18 300-level LING points
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Linguistics staff (at least all 4 staff in the Linguistics Programme)
- Teaching Arrangements
Bi-weekly meetings with a linguistics lecturer.
Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical and conceptual approaches to the study of Linguistics
- Identify relevant sources, primary, secondary, oral and other, for analysing Linguistics
- Undertake independent, self-directed research
- Apply understanding and knowledge through written analysis and oral presentations