Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
The development of writing skills in te reo Māori over a range of genres. Taught in Māori.
This paper is intended for those students with excellent speaking and listening skills to develop their written abilities in te reo across a range of genres. The aim is to enhance students’ skills to write assignments in other papers in te reo Māori, or to go on to postgraduate research through the medium of Māori, and to develop marketable skills. Taught in Māori.
|Paper title||Ngā Pūkenga Tuhi|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2022 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$929.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MAOR 211
- MOAR 306
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
Ph 03 479 8674
- Teaching staff
This paper is team taught
- Paper Structure
- Hautaka ā-ipurangi. Blog 25%
- Tuhi reta Letter Writing 10%
- Pakiwaitara Story Writing 20%
- Pūrongo Report Writing 20%
- Pānui ā-whare wānanga Academic Poster 25%
Texts will be made available on Blackboard
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will be able to
- Employ phrases and grammatical constructions in the Māori language at intermediate/advanced level of Māori in both formal and informal styles
- Express appropriate idiom, simile, metaphor and the like, in written which allow for the transmission of nuance and desired meaning at an intermediate/advanced level of Māori language proficiency
- Gain knowledge of a variety of written forms (such as letters, stories, reports, blogs and webpages) from historical and contemporary sources, and skills to create their own pieces of writing to an intermediate/advanced level of Māori language proficiency
- Gain knowledge and skills in the arts of translation from English into Māori to an intermediate/advanced level of Māori language proficiency