Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
The study of the post-contact Indigenous histories of Aotearoa and other parts of eastern Polynesia.
This paper focuses on the history of New Zealand and the other islands of Polynesia since contact with Europeans; hence the Māori title of the paper may be translated 'The Meeting of Two Worlds'. The course readings and discussions will juxtapose European-oriented and indigenous histories narrating the early contact and colonial eras, with particular reference to the indigenous responses to Europeans, the local forms of resistance and the struggle for land. A section will also focus on the work of the Waitangi Tribunal as a collector and maker of history. All the texts are written in the English language, though some of them use indigenous terms and phrases.
|Paper title||Te Tūtakitanga o Ngā Ao e Rua|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- 18 200-level HIST, MAOR or PACI points
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
Tel 03 479 8674
- More information link
- View more information on the Te Tumu website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- Internally assessed 100%
- Course material.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Cultural understanding.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will be able to
- Demonstrate a knowledge of indigenous historical themes and perspectives within New Zealand and Pacific Islands history, including the role of the Waitangi Tribunal
- Competently analyse and discuss histories dealing with the early contact and colonial periods in New Zealand and elsewhere in the Pacific
- Undertake and present research on a topic reflecting on issues and themes of post-contact indigenous histories