Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A full-time placement undertaken in an approved medical microbiology laboratory over a period of one semester.
|Paper title||Clinical Microbiology|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1
Semester 2 (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,209.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$20,781.50|
- MELX 402
- Limited to
- Teaching staff
Paper Convener: Dr Warren McBurney
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Paper Structure
- Clostridium difficile infections
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamase, AmpC beta-lactamase and carbapenemase producers
- Automation in the diagnostic microbiology laboratory
- Molecular methods for the diagnosis of bloodstream infections
- Antifungal susceptibility testing
- Laboratory theory and practice
- Teaching Arrangements
This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught, clinical placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Demonstrate in-depth learning of selected current and emerging topics in diagnostic microbiology
- Be able to carry out in-depth literature searches on the topics, collate and critically evaluate the information, and produce a cohesive written report
- Demonstrate a professional attitude in the clinical placement and the ability to work as a team member
- Extend their knowledge base in diagnostic microbiology techniques
- Be able to follow laboratory protocols set out by their host laboratory
- Develop an understanding of quality-control issues in the workplace