Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
The study of human chromosomes, their abnormalities and relations to diseases, and the pre- and post-natal diagnosis of genetic disorders.
Molecular Diagnostics is a rapidly expanding, dynamic field of study. The techniques learnt can be applied in all the Medical Laboratory disciplines. This paper provides in-depth practical experience in the molecular techniques, including DNA extraction, DNA sequencing, cell culture, standard and real-time polymerase chain reactions (PCR).
|Paper title||Diagnostic Molecular Pathology|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1 (14 February 2022 - 22 June 2022)
Semester 2 (27 June 2022 - 12 November 2022) (Distance learning)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,280.50|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- MELX 404
- Limited to
Available to students who have passed all second- and third-year Medical Laboratory Science Papers.
- Teaching staff
Paper Convener: Jenny Grant
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Paper Structure
- Key Modules:
- Molecular diagnostic basic equipment and processes
- Molecular diagnostic basic test procedures
- Molecular diagnostic specialised investigations
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Understand the basic theory behind the methodologies used in molecular diagnostics
- Gain in-depth practical knowledge of these techniques and how to troubleshoot them