2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
Provides in-depth coverage of histopathology including the theory and practice of the routine procedures of tissue fixation and processing, microtomy and staining, as well as the more sophisticated techniques of histochemistry and autoradiography.
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Points||60 points 60 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester (10 February 2020 - 17 June 2020), Second Semester (22 June 2020 - 7 November 2020)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,163.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$20,374.00|
- MELX 407
- Limited to
- Passed all second- and third-year Medical Laboratory Science papers
- Teaching staff
Convenor: Dr Tania Slatter
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will gain competency in the technical principles, operation and maintenance of instrumentation, identification of sources of error, and the understanding and interpretation of patient results.