Builds on the basic knowledge acquired in year three. An in-depth study of the blood group serology for the major blood group systems, infectious disease testing, production of blood components, and quality control. Selected topics in clinical transfusion practice, immunologically-related disorders and tissue typing are included.
|Paper title||Transfusion Science|
|Subject||Medical Laboratory Science|
|Points||60 points 60 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester (10 February 2020 - 17 June 2020), Second Semester (22 June 2020 - 7 November 2020)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,163.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$20,374.00|
- MELX 408
- Limited to
- Passed all second- and third-year Medical Laboratory Science papers
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Jim Faed
Supervisor: Clinical diagnostic laboratory staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is a 15-week, distance-taught placement working in a clinical diagnostic laboratory within New Zealand and Australia
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking,
Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will gain competency in the technical principles, operation and maintenance of instrumentation, identification of sources of error, and the understanding and interpretation of patient results.