Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
A supervised dissertation of up to 15 000 words on an approved research topic.
|Subject||Media, Film and Communication|
|Teaching period(s)||Full Year
1st Non standard period (5 July 2021 - 26 June 2022) (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,464.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$14,402.50|
- COMS 490, FIME 490
- Limited to
- BA(Hons), PGDipArts
- More information link
- View more information about MFCO 490
- Teaching staff
Teaching staff to be advised.
- Paper Structure
Students are assigned a supervisor early in the first semester with whom they will meet regularly to support the writing of their dissertation. In addition, informational sessions and workshops are provided across the semesters related to the practicalities of dissertation research and writing.
The final dissertation is the sole form of assessment for MFCO 490. However, students will agree on deadlines across the two semesters with their supervisor with regard to writing an abstract, a proposal, a literature review and chapters.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Regular meetings with assigned supervisor
Other informational sessions and workshops
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- By completion of the MFCO 490 dissertation students will
- Demonstrate advanced research skills
- Successfully choose and make use of an appropriate methodology for the chosen topic
- Work independently to produce an extended argument in a topic of relevance to film and media or communication studies