Perspectives of music in global, historical and cultural context. Students will learn why music matters in modules covering diverse themes and musical styles.
|Paper title||Music Matters|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,059.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,338.30|
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- No prior musical knowledge required.
- Teaching staff
Paper coordinator: Professor Henry Johnson
Please contact the Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts office for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Scholarship, Communication, Critical
thinking, Cultural understanding.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Develop an in-depth appreciation of music in global cultural context.
- Develop an understanding of the diverse uses, functions and meanings of music through the field of cultural musicology.
- Acquire knowledge and skills in comprehending music through cultural analysis and by writing from a critical cultural perspective.
- Gain culturally relevant knowledge of music in global context, including methods, theories and procedures relating to the field of cultural musicology.