The development of songwriting skills including lyric writing, structure and composition techniques across a wide range of popular music styles.
A song is a magical marriage of words and music. For the popular songwriter this means being both a composer and, to a certain extent, a poet. Composing words and music and marrying them together can be very hard work (or as Jimmy Webb says, "if it isn't, you're not doing it properly"), but doing it well can also be extremely lucrative. This paper provides students with the fundamental skills to embark on a songwriting career, including lyric writing, song structure and basic composition techniques. Students enrolling in MUSI 135 are strongly encouraged to also enrol in MUSI 132 Music Technology.
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,059.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,338.30|
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Before enrolling in MUSI 135, students are strongly advised to have taken MUSI 191 or have an equivalent music background.
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts' website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Coordinator: Dr Graeme Downes
Teaching Staff: Dr Graeme Downes, Dr Ian Chapman, Dr John Egenes.
- Paper Structure
Please contact the Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts (firstname.lastname@example.org) office for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Two 1-hour classes per week.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
Resources and texts will be made available to students throughout the course of the paper where required.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will develop the work ethic of a creative mind, which involves drafting, editing and revising both language and music and a highly honed critical faculty as to what constitutes a final artefact.