A critical examination of outsider (European/Euro-American) views and insider (Indigenous) notions of the Pacific body and how these notions have evolved over time. The paper will explore several cultural, spiritual and physical rituals associated with the Pacific body such as haircutting, ear piercing, kava ceremony, tattooing, massage and physicality.
|Paper title||Special Topic: Sino Pasifika - Pacific Bodies|
|Subject||Pacific Islands Studies|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2018, expected to be offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$868.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,656.70|
- PACI 201 or PACI 210 or an approved 200-level paper relevant to the Pacific Islands in ANTH, GEND, GEOG, HIST or MFCO
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- More information link
- View more information on the School of Māori, Pacific and Indigenous Studies' website
- Teaching staff
- Dr Michelle Schaaf
- Paper Structure
- Internal assessment 100%
- To be advised
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Cultural understanding.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- To be advised when next offered.