An introduction to the influence of social psychological variables on participation and performance in sport and exercise, and the influence of that participation on the psychological characteristics of participants.
|Paper title||Psychology of Sport|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$969.22|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,368.00|
- 36 points
- Teaching staff
- Course Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Professor Ken Hodge
- Paper Structure
- This paper covers six modules/topics:
- Introduction to the psychology of sport
- Understanding participants in sport
- Understanding sport environments
- Understanding group and team processes
- Enhancing performance; mental skills training
- Facilitating psychological growth and development
- Required text: Weinberg, R. & Gould, D. (2011). Foundations of Sport and Exercise
Psychology (5th Edition). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. (or 4th Edition, 2007)
Recommended text: Hodge, K.P. (2004/2010). Sport Motivation: Training Your Mind for Peak Performance (2nd Edition). Auckland, NZ: Raupo.
Reserve readings will be available through course reserve in the library.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Understand how social psychological variables influence participation and performance in sport settings
- Understand how participation in sport influences the psychological development of the individual player/participant
- Acquire practical skills and knowledge about sport psychology that you can apply as a teacher, coach, fitness instructor or sports person