Approved practical experience in a sport organisation, incorporating an examination of the organisation and the completion of a major project.
This paper is suitable for highly motivated, self-directed students who wish to prepare for a career in sport management. The practicum provides students with the opportunity to gain practical management experience within the sport sector. Students are required to find their own placement. For each placement, a designated supervisor/contact person must be identified at the placement organisation. Initial lecture sessions will outline the responsibilities of students, the workload expected and the assessment involved. Students will then complete at least 90 hours of practical experience with their placement organisation.
|Paper title||Sport Management Practicum|
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,120.42|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,368.00|
- PHSE 339 and PHSE 340
- Limited to
- Due to the limited number of places available, enrolment in this paper is subject to approval from the Dean of the School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences.
- Enrolments for this paper are limited and require departmental permission.
View more information about limitations of enrolment.
- More information link
- View more information on the School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences' website
- Teaching staff
- Course Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Dr Mike Sam
- Paper Structure
- Minimum 90 hours of volunteer work at an approved sport organisation with a supervisor from that organisation.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Self-directed study with input from course co-ordinators.
- Relevant readings will be suggested by the course co-ordinators.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Critical thinking, Research, Teamwork, Communication.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Awareness of the sport management industry in NZ
- Experience of working in a sport organisation
- Time management