A supervised project involving original research and leading to the production of a dissertation.
Physiology original research project.
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,867.50|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$18,049.50|
- Limited to
- BSc(Hons), PGDipSci
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission.
View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Course Convener: Dr Martin Fronius
Students will work with a previously agreed upon supervisor within the Department.
- Paper Structure
Students taking this paper will conduct experiments to test a novel hypothesis to generate publishable results. A research agreement between students and supervisors will outline a specific timeline for the research project. The dissertation makes up 50% of the overall workload for the BSc (Hons) or PGDipSci year.
- Teaching Arrangements
- Students will be assessed on a written dissertation describing the research project and results (typically 20,000 words). The paper extends throughout the academic year.
- Original research articles.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Acquired deep knowledge and understanding of the physiology of a specific area of research.
- High intellectual appreciation of the value of research to generating new knowledge, including critical evaluation, interpretation, deductive reasoning and rigour.
- Developed oral and written scientific communication skills.