Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master’s degree by papers and thesis.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,809.62|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$12,633.40|
- Limited to
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Course Convener: Associate Professor Kirk L. Hamilton
Students will work with a previously agreed upon supervisor within the Department.
- Paper Structure
- This paper is intended to allow you to plan and organise all of the background aspects
of your MSc research project (for a 2-year MSc degree). In addition you will carry
out pilot or preliminary experiments. Completion of PHSL 495 should place you in a
good position to conduct the majority of your experimental work and dissertation writing
in the second year.
Please note, we encourage students to consider completing a 400-level degree programme instead of the first-year MSc and subsequently complete a 1-year MSc degree.
- Teaching Arrangements
- The paper extends throughout the academic year.
- Original research articles
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy,
Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Acquired deep knowledge and understanding of the physiology of a specific area of research
- High intellectual appreciation of the value of research to generating new knowledge, including critical evaluation, interpretation, deductive reasoning and rigour
- Developed oral and written scientific communication skills