Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Advanced level of knowledge, competence and skill in neurorehabilitation for practising physiotherapists.
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2021, expected to be offered in 2022 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,889.00|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,674.00|
- PHTX 535
- Limited to
- MPhty, PGCertPhty, PGDipPhty
- Paper and qualifications restricted to Physiotherapists.
- More information link
- View further information about the School of Physiotherapy
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- This paper covers topics such as:
- Evidence-based practice in neurorehabilitation
- Philosophies of care for adults and/or children with long-term neurological conditions
- Standardised measures for assessment and evaluation
- Neuropathophysiology and applied science
- Management interventions for body structure and function, activity and participation domains for individuals with neurological conditions
- Promoting health and wellness via physical activity for adults and/or children with neurological conditions
- Teaching Arrangements
Taught by on-campus and distance learning:
- A colloquium of location and duration will be held subject to arrangement.
- Audio conferences held in the evenings subject to arrangement (via Zoom)
- No compulsory textbooks required
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
- Critically review and appraise the literature;
- Critically explore current trends in the physiotherapeutic management of patients (both adults and/or children) with neurological conditions;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pathophysiology and applied scientific basis of physiotherapeutic intervention for patients with neurological conditions;
- Demonstrate competency in the management, assessment and treatment of patients with neurological conditions beyond the entry level for practitioners;
- Understand the demographics of neurologically related conditions in New Zealand and the physiotherapist's role in the promotion of health and wellness.