Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
This paper builds on the skills and techniques learned in SCOM 411 Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking Part 1, with an emphasis on storycraft from concept through post-production. The paper culminates in the production of a professionally executed 10-minute film which explores a science and/or natural history subject of the student's choice. By the end of the semester, students will find themselves well-positioned for a successful career in the industry.
|Paper title||The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking 2|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,371.61|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- SCOM 411
- Limited to
- PGCertSciComm, PGDipSciComm, MSciComm, MAppSc
- May be taken only by students enrolled for Science and Natural History Filmmaking endorsement.
- More information link
- View more information on the Centre for Science Communication's website
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- Most sessions will begin with a seminar relating to editing theory followed by a practical session.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Environmental literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will develop knowledge and skills in
- Colour grading
- DVD authoring
- Key framing
- Basic animation